Bike Light, FIrst and Second Attempt




I made my first prototype for my bike light the other night. It didn't work out exactly how I had hoped, for use with a bike, but it was still a good torch. I gave it to my professor.

I made a second one today, and I'm much happier with it. My soldering is getting so much better, which I am sure is a relief to all none of you reading this. I expect I will be getting a bunch of "congratulations on becoming a novice solderer" ecards, and perhaps a digital gift certif or two to " Solderers-R-Us". Solderderity brothers and sisters!

When I say I "made" the bike light, I am actually referring just to the tin light itself, not the bracket for attaching it to the bike. That is the next step of the process. I think that the best thing to do here would be to pick up a cheap reflector bracket at the local bike shop and either drill out the tin to attach it, or to use it as an excuse to go up north to visit brother Mark and his lovely welding set-up again. The second option is much more appealing at this juncture, despite the two hour car ride it necessitates.

As to my activities of the past few days, they have been many. The school had a "Drop Everything and Read" Friday, which is a wonderful way to promote reading schoolwide. My students had a couple of assessments that were unavoidable, but that only took up about 45 minutes of the day. We all wore sweats to school, and the students were allowed to bring a pillow and blanket. They came in, built forts out of the desks and tables in the classroom, and read silently for about the first hour of school with the books they brought. AND THEY LOVED IT! Funny what a title will do, eh?!

We also did a reader's theater about "Lightening Larry" (thank you, Aaron Shepard) and they were totally into it, western twang and all.

I picked up The Lightening Thief, by Rick Riordan, as I was told that my love of mythology would make this a great pick for me. I'm still with it so far (chapter five-ish), and though it was not an immeadiate connection, it is growing on me. We'll see how Mr. Riordan finishes this first installment of the series.

That's it for now...Oh...Etsy....

Still no sales, but who really cares, right?!

I'm gonna' go make a freakin' flashlight now.
0 Responses